Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Rude Awakening

It's six o'clock in the morning when it hits, quite suddenly and unexpected. A squeezing pain in the center of the chest, odd; it feels like a charlie horse one would get in the leg after exercising, only I'm not exercising! I'm in bed asleep, dead to the world until 5:59:59 that is.
Rising up on all fours, mouth agape, tongue stiffening upwards towards the roof of my mouth unable to breathe (or I am and just don't know it) fixated on what is about to happen to my body. It feels like someone is holding on to my heart and slowly squeezing it until it stops beating; a one point I thought it had. I can feel the adrenalin now; the white noise is in the background waiting to pounce, sending me off and in to the abyss. I can hear myself say... No! No! Oh No! Not Now! I called out to GP...he is at my side in a (ha-ha)...heartbeat. I was able to utter these few words...Medicine Cabinet...Baby Aspirin...One. I can hear him cursing as he fumbles with an apparently new box and foil seal; (in any other circumstance it would have been funny) G returns quickly to my side and places one orange flavored baby aspirin in my mouth, as I chew and wait for the magic that will take away the pain; only then did I realize it had already occurred right before my eyes.

No comments: